Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Late garden harvest and red pepper hummus recipe.

On October 1, I went to get carrots from my garden.  To date, we have had no frost, I was pleasantly surprised to find all these yummy veggies.
Parsley, which actually tolerates frost well. I have dug up parsley under the snow in November and it was still fabulous.
Baby dill, love it in scrabbled eggs, soups, sauteed mushrooms and mashed potatoes.
Three tiny jalapeno peppers, I thought I picked them all three weeks ago.  These peppers will turn bright red in about a week.
I planted yellow and red bell peppers until they ripen I'm guessing these two are one of each.
Purple pole beans, they turn green when cooked.  Delicious, I'm surprised the bean plants are still producing fruit so late in the year.
 Carrots, onions and little cucumbers.
 Rounding up my veggies to pose for group photos.
These are pickling cucumbers, which I have been picking every five days since early August.
 Four sage leaves for the chicken noodle soup, I made.
 
 Three sweet onions.
 Hmmm another snapshot of those beans.
I like to photograph veggies because they are so colourful and stay exactly where I place them.
 My red pepper hummus recipe:
  • One 19 ounce can of chick peas drained and rinced
  • Four pealed garlic cloves coarsely chopped or tossed in whole
  • One red bell pepper, coarsely chopped seeds and stem removed
  • One half cup coarsely chopped parsley
  • One heaping tablespoon smooth peanut butter
  • Freshly squeezed juice from one lemon or lime
  • One tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
  • About two ounces of extra virgin olive oil
Put all ingredients in food processor. 
 Process at high speed for 25 seconds.
Chill in fridge about two hours before serving with crackers, breads or toast.
Last week, I picked some pumpkins, gourds and squash from my friend Cindy's garden for a harvest display on my front door landing. 
Yesterday, I made chicken noodle soup and red pepper humus.  Today, I sew... yippee! Dancing around the room with glee!  I'm working on a wedding quilt for my niece and god child.

Happy stitching, quilting, gardening and cooking.

3 comments:

  1. Peanut butter instead of the usual tahini?! That sounds interesting. I have to try your recipe!! Beautiful bounty from your garden!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I use all natural peanut butter with the ingredients listed as only peanuts and salt. It tastes great.

      Delete

Your comments give me quite a thrill. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and please have a super duper day! Unfortunately, anonymous comments are no longer allowed, there was just way too much spam.