- 4 litres (quarts) of beef broth or bouillon cubes with water
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 4 litres of water (use the tomato can)
- 1 cup of red wine
- 1 cup of pearl or pot barley
- 2 large chopped onions
- 4 chopped carrots
- 4 chopped celery stalks including leaves
- 5 cloves diced garlic
- 1 half cup diced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon course salt
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds lean ground beef or 6 cups chopped cooked roast beef
- 1 can kernel corn
- Optional one package of onion soup mix or two tablespoons soya sauce or two tablespoons Worcestershire sauce.
Add one can of kernel corn with juices. Scramble-fry lean ground beef. Add to soup and cook soup another half hour.
This recipe makes about 12 litres of soup and can easily be halved or quartered.
First off you need a big pot. This one is 16 litres.
Five cloves of garlic.
Crushed black peppercorns.
Two bay leaves.
Crush the thyme, rosemary and black peppercorns together with a pestle and morter.
Chopped carrots and diced garlic
Simmer soup for 1 and half hours.